El Camino de Santiago de Compostela

El Camino de Santiago de Compostela

Sunday 5 May 2024

A Busy Week!

 The last weekend in April and I'm on my way to David's on the train, on my own!! Huge disappointment at Preston station when, with camera poised, I'm greeted by the Northern Belle being pulled by 2 diesel locomotives rather than a steam engine. Didn't take a photo!

Great weekend despite the weather. Saturday night till late (very) in The Kings Arms. I've requested an application form to become a "local". It's not arrived yet.

The Kings Arms Stainton built 1721


Went for a walk on Sunday with David and Molly the dog. Home Monday. Thanks for the lift Sarah.

Dalemain House, home of the famous Dalemain Marmalade Festival
Current building is largely 18th century.

Wednesday Heather and I went off on the Tolkien Trail around Stonyhurst College. If someone had told me how sunny and warm it was going to be, I could have worn my shorts.
The college at Stonyhurst was established in 1794 after the English Jesuit College of St Omers was expelled from France by the French Revolution.

Stonyhurst College

Former pupils at the college as well as JRR Tolkien include Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Siegried Sassoon and leading Eurosceptic and right wing MP Bill Cash. As we're dealing with Tolkien here, can I just say the Merry and Pippin have just met Treebeard.

On Thursday down to Worcester to visit relatives for the weekend. Walked around Hanbury Hall near Droitwich. The hall and Hanbury Church were lovely. The weather was pretty naff. Hanbury Hall was built as a country retreat for the Vernon family at the turn of the 18th century.

 
Hanbury Hall

 
One of the rooms


Hanbury Church was reached through heavy drizzle and a very muddy field but the inside was worth the walk. The church was built on the site of an iron age hill fort and the present building dates from 1210. The organ looks amazing but I'm having trouble finding information about it.

The organ, Hanbury Church

Beautiful meal on Friday night. If you're ever in Worcester, I can highly recommend Benedictos.
On Saturday we travelled to Portishead to see other bits of family, and, as a complete contrast, it was warm and sunny. Back to Worcester Saturday evening and Sunday dawned warm and sunny as well!!

A lovely week. For those of you not familiar with British weather, this is spring! Rain, cold, warm sunshine, wind sometimes all on the same day.

For any of you amazed at my inclusion of historical notes and pictures of stately homes in this blog, can I just say that my attitude to the aristocracy in Britain remains the same and I am still a republican. Also Bill Cash, in my opinion, is an utter disgrace to our parliament, but is, apparently, retiring at the next election whenever that might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment