El Camino de Santiago de Compostela

El Camino de Santiago de Compostela

Wednesday 19 August 2015

In the beginning........

Having talked about it for months, seemingly, Heather and I have committed ourselves to doing a large portion (NOT all!) of El Camino de Santiago de Compostela in May next year. The exact starting point is still to be decided but, if we start in Burgos, which is the furthest point along the route from which we might start, the walk will be a mere 304.7 miles!!!! We have just over 4 weeks to do it.Why? You may well ask.

  • A spiritual challenge 
  • A physical challenge
  • A chance to step out of normality
  • A nice walk
  • Or, according to Joos from Amsterdam, a radical weight loss regime
The blog will follow the trials and tribulations of preparation, training (Ha!) and the actual walk, as well as taking in anything else that I feel like commenting on.

If you feel like commenting or encouraging, please do. Try not to be too critical or insulting and hopefully we will all get through this together.
Peter

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peter.

    I've just come across your blog via Ivar's Camino forum. I see that you are planning to walk the Camino next May. That's a wonderful plan. My wife, Barbara, and I walked from St Jean to Santiago in two sessions, last autumn and last spring. The first stage ended near Sahagun, which was were we restarted last May. It was a most wonderful experience, so much do that we have already booked our flights to Lisbon for the beginning of April 2016 when we plan to walk the Camino Portuguese.
    If you start at Burgos, a very beautiful city, you will very soon be on the Meseta, which people seem to either hate or to love. We're in the "loved it" camp.
    Seeing your reports about walking in the lake district makes me think that you will have few problems on the Camino. The Meseta is flattish, but fascinating. After Leon is more hilly and parts of Galicia even more so but you will be on fine form by then and it shouldn't be too difficult.

    If, by any chance, you are interested I wrote a blog as we went along. If may give you a good feel for the Camino. It's at carrollsinspain.WordPress.com .

    Also, as we only live a relatively few miles away, in Halifax, Yorkshire I'd be happy to have a chat if you have any queries we can help you with. I remember thinking that we had lots to cover when we were planning and it would have been good to have been able to talk to someone who had already walked the route. Drop me a note if I can help thecarrolls@sky.com

    Bon Camino!

    Tony Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony, Thanks for getting in touch. I've had a brief look at the blog and I'll certainly have a longer look over the next few days. The main problem with starting in Logrono or Burgos is missing the Pyrenees! It looks fabulous, but as both my wife and I are still working, time is a bit tight. We did consider doing it in two parts, but decided against it. Funnily enough, we are planning on getting down there by train as well. Keep an eye on the blog and I'll welcome any comments or suggestions you may have.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment